When crossing the street on foot, you shouldn’t have to worry about being hit by a vehicle. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents make up a significant percentage of personal injury cases.
These accidents can often result in devastating injuries, as the pedestrian has no defense against the much heavier and faster vehicle.
Luckily, pedestrian accident lawyers are standing by and ready to take your call if you’ve been the victim of a pedestrian accident.
Top Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
While there are many things that can lead to a pedestrian accident, some of the most common causes include:
- Texting while driving. Cell phones are a wonderful invention. They allow us to connect with our loved ones around the world instantaneously through text message and calling. However, texting can be extremely distracting, especially for those who are operating a vehicle while trying to send or read a message.
- Driving while impaired. For decades, it’s been understood that no one should ever get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle if they’ve consumed drugs or alcohol. Reaction time is markedly decreased when these substances are in a person’s system and even slight impairment can lead to absolutely disastrous consequences for drivers and pedestrians alike.
- Driving too fast. Speeding is often seen as a minor issue by society. Most people laugh off speeding and many drivers will only get a slap on the wrist for going over the speed limit. But speeding through intersections where pedestrians are walking can make it extremely difficult to stop when someone crosses the road. Even if the driver had the right of way, a pedestrian may have already started crossing the road. If the driver were moving at a reasonable speed, he’d probably be able to stop in time. But when he is driving over the speed limit, stopping can sometimes be impossible.
- Weather-related issues. Snow, rain, ice, and even strong winds can all affect a driver’s ability to safely navigate on the road. In these cases, drivers and pedestrians need to be extra cautious when crossing intersections, as it can be easy to lose control of the vehicle and hit another car, an object, or a pedestrian.
- Improper yielding. Depending on the individual state in question, there will be various laws that govern who has the right of way in certain circumstances. Drivers and pedestrians must follow all laws and road signs when passing through intersections in order to avoid accidents.
There are many different causes of pedestrian accidents including distracted driving to unavoidable weather conditions. But regardless of what caused the collision, the important thing to remember is that there is help available if you’ve been involved in an accident of any kind. Pedestrian accident lawyers are standing by to take your call right now and they would be happy to help you address any and all issues pertaining to your accident.
If you’ve been involved in a pedestrian accident and aren’t sure where to turn, call a pedestrian accident lawyer today!